At Leweston we aim to ensure that all children receive a balanced diet which provides the nutrients needed for optimal growth and development. All children have their meals in the main school dining room to learn about social eating and have lunch with the nursery staff. Specific medical or ethical dietary requirements are catered for.
A wide selection of food is provided by the Catering Department, and pupils and staff (as good role models) are encouraged to:
- Eat at least 5 portions of fruit and vegetables a day from the wide selection on offer. (Nursery children select fruit from the table to take back to school for afternoon break)
- Eat plenty of foods rich in starch and fibre
- Eat less fatty and sugary foods
- Consume less salt by eating fresh and home-produced foods without salt
- Drink water rather than sugary alternatives
- Make sensible choices to ensure they receive healthy and balanced meals
We are committed to helping children develop the skills and resources to make informed decisions about their health both at school and at home.